Exploring Overland offers custom training weekends—with no more than four people per weekend. In 2016 these weekends will be made available as enquiries are made. You pick the modules you are interested in, and the number of days of training desired. Modules include:
- Basic off-pavement driving skills (how four-wheel-drive systems work; how to read terrain; optimizing gearing and traction in all conditions)Vehicle preparation, maintenance, and safety for extended overland travel;
- Elements of recovery: use of sand mats; Hi-Lift jack use; assisted recovery (using a second vehicle) ;
- Basic winching (for someone with no or very little hands-on winching experience);
- Advanced winching (double- and triple-line pulls; redirected pulls);
- Advanced driving skills (soft terrain; off-camber situations; failed hill climbs; steep descents);
- Other requests
Dates ranges where trainings are available are:
January 1, 2016 through March 30, 2016
November 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016
We offer options with breakfast and dinner included, or no meals included.
It will be all camping, held at our Ravenrock desert camp (southern Arizona, 45 miles southwest of Tucson) with some modules taught in the backcountry with 1-2 nights off property camping.
The cost is $400 per day per person for totally custom training, and you can choose any number of days (we will consult with you based on your curriculum desires if it’s enough time). Meals would be an additional $50 per person per day including nice wine and beer.
For a couple, who travel together and are learning together, we would offer a 25% discount on the training fee (not including the food).
Our spring trainings are now full, but to enquire about future trainings please fill out our online form HERE. We will contact you when others are scheduled.